Learning to be Perfect  

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

There has always seemed to be two distinct sides to my personality.

One side loves to learn new things. I suppose that's why I'm already missing school a little bit, even though I'm relieved to be done with my Master's program.

The other side, however, is the perfectionist side, the all or nothing side, that often ruins things for me. That's the side of me that takes the fun out of learning new things, makes me compare what I'm doing to what others are doing, and if I don't measure up in my mind, tries to tell me to quit. Sometimes I'm afraid to even try, thinking what it'll be like if it doesn't turn out the way I think it should.

I'm trying more and more lately to push myself into trying things, and to change my mind set that it is ok to do something you enjoy, even if you aren't the best at it. Writing in my blog is one of them!

I've always enjoyed taking pictures, especially since I first got a digital camera and could take a million pictures and see what they looked like right away. However, I'm not very good at it. Roland takes much better pictures, and it has always frustrated me that I can take a hundred pictures and not get what I want, and call him over and with a quick snap and a, "there you go," he's produced the picture I wanted so badly. It makes me want to give up.

But, I'm trying really hard to tell myself to keep trying. I've been reading a lot of tips on blogs (I so love blogging) for first time photographers, and the number one tip is to take tons and tons of pictures. So while we were doing the Unplugged Project on Sunday, I followed my favorite little subject around and just kept taking pictures, trying new angles and other ideas all the lists for "taking better pictures" suggested.

Roland and I both like how this one turned out, although he pointed out that her bum is hanging out. Now I need to learn editing too!





There's something about this photo I really like, even though I'm disappointed it came out so blurry. Blurry is my number one problem with picture taking.



Some of the tips say to try taking pictures from behind. This worked good on this day because you could see the pretty french braid that Roland's mom put in her hair. Another thing for me to learn.



Some of the tips suggested filling the frame with the person you were taking the picture of. I'm so glad I tried it - these two aren't the best pictures in the world but I'm in love with them.





After showing Roland my "photo shoot" with Paige, he said that maybe he should have a photo shoot with her. Part of me wants him to because I know he'll get some beautiful shots. And part of me doesn't want him to because I know he'll get some beautiful shots.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


4 comments: to “ Learning to be Perfect

  • Kimberly
    July 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM  

    I can relate SO much to the all or nothing. I think that is why I have trouble keeping my apartment clean. If it isn't perfect, why bother?

    ANYHOW
    You really did get some pretty photos! I'm a photographer in progress... One tip with blurry photos. Don't fret! Try turning them black and white (if you have a program that does that, or when you print them). It often just adds to the effect and makes it look like you meant it! :)

    I Really love the ones with her and the dandelions!

  • Michie
    July 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

    Thank you for the compliments and the tip. I was the same way with cleaning - I'm slowly learning that it doesn't have to be perfect - if I wait for perfection, nothing gets done in the meantime.

  • Anonymous
    July 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

    I think these are really great shots! And my goodness, does that girl have beautiful hair.

    If your camera has an "action" setting that might help with the blur. I use this setting more than auto because my kids always seem to be moving.

  • Shan
    July 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

    They are great pictures. And blurry doesn't necessarily mean bad. Digital is great for learning. Which is what I am constantly doing. I just keep shooting and shooting. Lots of practice is a good thing.

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster